Indulge Your Taste Buds at West Restaurant
Introduction to West
If you haven’t dined at West Restaurant, known as the ‘jewel in Vancouver’s culinary crown’, then you haven’t truly explored Vancouver’s world-class gastronomic scene. West Restaurant offers guests a dining experience unlike any other in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia. Featuring contemporary regional cuisine and outstanding service, the restaurant has achieved numerous accolades where fine dining is concerned.
Executive Chef Quang Dang tantalizes guests with fresh organic seasonal and local ingredients that present innovative creations offering both a sense of balance and complexity in every dish. On the a la carte menu, seafood dishes are sprinkled across the page including local harvest and game. The menu is well-suited to satisfy any type of guest as there are multi course tasting menus, an extensive wine list that is composed of fine vintages and budget-friendly wines, and appetizers that will make your mouth water.
With regards to decor, West Restaurant encompasses vibrant colours, soft furnishings and a modern, lustrous interior. Opposite the bar there are beveled mirrors and the wall features Maharam fabric from the MOMA Collection. West Restaurant is cozy and charming with its intimate lighting, but also dazzles with a touch of pizzazz. The restaurant features leather chairs that are the Mario Bellini Designed Original which can be found in the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art and some of the finest china and crystal sit upon each individual etched stone tabletop.
If guests want to see some of the action that goes on ‘behind the scenes’, two chef tables are set up adjacent to the kitchen where guests can see the workings of a world-class chef and team. Behind the long cherry wood bar, West displays over 500 bottles of wine which is definitely picture worthy as you won’t see this type of display in many restaurants. Guests can sit at the bar and enjoy flavourful cocktails composed of juices, creative infusions and herbs while they mingle with other West diners.
Highlights of West Restaurant include:
- A highly esteemed wine director, Owen Knowlton voted Sommelier of the Year by Vancouver Playhouse International Wine Festival 2011
- A temperature controlled wall display of over 500 bottles of vintage wines
- Holiday tasting menus
- Chef tasting menus
- Extensive wine list
- Scrumptious dishes to satisfy any taste bud
- Space for 76 guests to enjoy a private dinner function
- Ample space for a cocktail reception (space for up to 140 people)
- Range of menu choices
- Personalized events
- Freshest organic and local ingredients
- Hot and cold menu items for the table
- ‘Old and New World’ dessert wines
- Delicious desserts created by Pastry Chef Rhonda Viani
- Diverse selection of cheeses to sample
- Take home boxes
Try these Scrumptious Dishes on Your Next West Visit
I was thrilled with our appetizers and entree selections and we made sure we sampled each other’s dishes as we dined. If you are going to start with an appetizer, try the Diver Caught Scallops and Lobster Gnocchi. They were both a tease of what was to come next and each dish was bursting with tasty seafood flavour.
Here are the two dishes explained below:
- Diver Caught Scallops – glazed wild mushrooms, celeriac in textures and banyuls brown butter.
- Lobster Gnocchi featuring taste bud tingling butter poached lobster, Yukon gold potato gnocchi and thyme emulsion.
When it comes to the entrees, guests have a wide range of culinary delights to choose from. The menu features items such as Wild BC Salmon, AAA Alberta Beef Tenderloin, Biodynamic Risotto, Buttermilk Roasted Farmcrest Chicken, Peace Country Rack of Lamb and more. I ordered the Yarrow Meadow’s Duck while my guest selected the Haida Gwai Sablefish. Both dishes were to die for! I had never tried duck before and was won over by West’s delicious dish. The sablefish melts in the mouth and left my guest wanting more.
Here are the two dished explained below:
- Haida Gwai Sablefish – herb crusted, sunchokes in textures, caramelized pearl onions and smoked ham broth.
- Yarrow Meadows Duck featuring caramelized onion puree, sherry lentils, mustard greens and pineau de charantes jus.
Do You Have a Sweet Tooth? Try These Best West Desserts!
The dessert I chose was truly delectable, as well as refreshing. The dessert menu offers guests the option to taste numerous delights at once via the Chocolate Tasting and Assortment of Petit Fours or choose one delicious sweet dish. Select from other desserts such as the Dark Chocolate Bavarios, Pumpkin Flan with Spice Cake, Cranberry Panna Cotta with Sour Cream Cake, Frozen Lemon Mousse and more.
After talking with our knowledgeable server and asking for recommendations, my choice was the Pineapple Roasted with Saffron and Star Anise. I am a lover of the tropics so I thought a touch of the tropics was a fabulous way to end the meal. I was delighted with the touch of coconut, passionfruit and banana. My guest ordered the Chocolate Tasting which was a chocolate lovers dream.
Here are both desserts explained in detail:
- Pineapple Roasted with Saffron and Star Anise – Coconut cookie, frozen banana and passionfruit ice cream.
- Chocolate Tasting – Chocolate creme brulee, baked meringue with dark chocolate mousse and raspberries, chocolate cake layered with cream cheese butter cream, raspberry preserves and raspberry ice cream.
The Tasty Conclusion
The staff were extremely friendly and possessed extensive knowledge with regards to the menu, wines and restaurant features. The Wine and Restaurant Director, Owen Knowlton, was helpful in suggesting wines and cocktails, as well as offering important information about the restaurant. We both enjoyed tasting Executive Chef Quang Dang’s delectable cuisine and will not hesitate to return for dinner soon. Life’s too short to be dining at 2 or 3 star quality restaurants. Dine at West and forget the rest.
Visit West Restaurant
Nightly from 5.30 – 11.00pm
Bar Nightly from 5.30 – midnight
Brunch 11.00am – 2.30pm, Sunday
Lunch 11.30am – 2.30pm, Monday – Sunday
2881 Granville Street (@13th)
Vancouver, BC V6H 3J4
Voice: 604 738 8938
Fax: 604 738 5909
Author: Natasha Jervis, Travel Copywriter